Homeless and foster care resources

Homeless resources

The Federal McKinney-Vento Act and Texas State Law guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live:

  • in a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter, or transitional living program)
  • in a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing
  • in a house or an apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
  • in an abandoned building or a car, at a campground, or on the street
  • in temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or legal guardian
  • in substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat)
  • with friends or family because you are runaway or unaccompanied youth

If you live in one of these situations, you do not need to provide the following to enroll in school:

  • proof of residency
  • immunization records or TB skin test result
  • birth records
  • legal guardianship papers

You may also:

  • continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled, even if you have moved away from the school’s attendance zone or district
  • receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin
  • qualify automatically for Child Nutrition Programs (free school meals)
  • participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
  • contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process

Visit the Wellness resources page for an extensive list of medical services, housing, cold weather shelters, childcare and more.

Please complete the Student Residency Questionnaire (SRQ) and return it to the school office if you are currently experiencing hardship and require assistance.

Additional information and resources are:

Contact us

For more information about homeless resources, contact:

Meighan Hylton, LMSW
McKinney-Vento Liaison
903-662-8869 Google Voice


Family and Community Engagement

Foster care resources

What documentation is required for enrolling a student who is in Foster Care?

  • Foster parents are required upon enrollment to submit a Form 2085E or court order showing the student is in the care and custody of DFPS and has been placed with the person completing the enrollment.
  • Students in foster or substitute care must be enrolled immediately even if they lack the required documents.

Who can answer questions about foster care in Garland ISD?

  • Each campus has a Campus Champion designated to assist foster parents and students with their educational needs.

How does my foster student qualify for free/reduced lunch?

  • Students who are enrolled with a Form 2085E or Court Order showing they are in the care and custody of DFPS automatically qualify for free lunch and are coded by Student Services.

Are uniforms and supplies available for foster students with an immediate need?

  • Yes, foster students may qualify for assistance through the GRS Giving Place.
  • Please fill out and submit the GRS Assistance Request Form. Contact your school counselor or Annette Himmelreich for more information.

Can my foster student stay in the school where he/she was enrolled when they entered foster care?

Yes. Foster students are entitled to remain in the school where enrolled at the time they entered substitute care until they transition from that building level (elementary to middle or middle to high school) as long as the foster care provider is willing to ensure the student’s transportation. 

Contact us

For more information about foster care resources, contact:

Annette Himmelreich, LMSW
Foster Care Liaison
903-662-8875 Google Voice


Family and Community Engagement